Sunday, March 11, 2018

SOL #11: My “Destiny” Obsession

From fifth grade to the end of last year, I was obsessed with a video game series called “Destiny.” A friend told me about it and I thought it looked really cool. Who doesn’t like fighting big bad aliens around the solar system and playing that one really hard mission over and over just for a few in-game consumables, right? I bought the first game in the series and all the extra downloadable content (DLC) which made me spend either seventy or ninety dollars.

The sequel was available for pre-order last summer. I pre-ordered it just for in-game bonuses and to play a demo of the game a day earlier than the people that didn’t pre-order. Months later, trailers and news about the first DLC for “Destiny 2” came out. Before, I thought I’d probably buy all the DLC but I thought about why I shouldn’t. Bungie, the creators of “Destiny,” was going to do the same thing they did with the last game. Release two DLCs in the first two years of the game’s release, then impress everybody with a special DLC in the third one, and try to do the same with the forth one but screw up and resort to pre-order bonuses. That’s when I decided not to spend any more of my money on “Destiny.”

No comments:

Post a Comment