Friday, May 12, 2017

Morrie's Aphorisms

"You need to make peace with yourself and everyone around you."

Morrie told Mitch about his friend Norman who Morrie couldn't forgive. Norman didn't call Morrie or Charlotte to check on her while she needed an operation. Morrie "shrugged off" Norman's explanation off. This led to Morrie saying the he wished he could forgive Norman and telling Mitch that we need to forgive ourselves. He also says that he beat himself over not doing certain things but it never helped. This story was to show you need need to forgive and make peace with yourself for not doing some things and others what what they have or haven't done. This way you live better because you won't have any quarrels or people you haven't forgiven

I agree with Morrie's aphorism about making peace. When you're at peace with someone, you forgive them for anything they've done. You also forgive yourself for not doing some things when you're at peace with yourself. Morrie would've forgiven is friend Norman if he was at peace with him. He tells how he didn't forgive Norman for not checking on Charlotte when she needed an operation here: "Over the years, I met Norman a few times and he always tried to reconcile, but I didn't accept it...I never got to forgive him." This shows that being at piece prevents situatupions like this. Being at peace with people helps you live better with others.

I'd like to connect this aphorism to the end of my 3rd grade school year. There were some classmates I wasn't at peace with. If I have, I wouldn't wish I could go back in time and fix certain things with some people. Being at peace can prevent you from doing things you wish you didn't or forgive people for whatever reasons.

"Try to live even the dullest of moments fully."

This is my own aphorism which is inspired by two things: something Morrie said to Mitch, and my math class. Morrie said that the reason people say they wish they could go back to a younger age is because they didn't live their time fully. We all have moments when we're bored out of our minds and such a time for me is my math class. The warm-ups are boring, the lessons are boring reviews, and there's barely anything challenging. I want to live my childhood as best as I can to I may as well try to look at the advantages of my math class or any other boring moment in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment