Monday, October 23, 2017

First Quarter Reflections

Where are you in your personal Book Challenge?

I have only read one book for my challenge. I know I should be on my third book by now, but I’ve focused most of my time on reading “It.” The illegal pdf that Clement gave me (thanks Clement) has around a thousand pages and the print is small. For the next quarter, I’ll probably be at around 5 or possibly higher. I’m a few chapters shy of finishing “The Mysterious Benedict Society” and I’m interested in reading “1984” by George Orwell. Once I finish those, I need to look for more books.

What are your goals for ELA in your next three quarters?

My main goal is to get more 4s. Grades matter more in eighth grade because they help determine the high schools you can go to and the classes you can take. With 4s, I can get into better classes where I can learn and feel challenged. My other goal also relates to my future education. I want to be able to use everything I learn in Mrs. Larson’s in every other class. The TIQA format is just the start. I want to incorporate whatever else we learn when we start making more essays into other ELA classes I’ll have in the future.

What strategies have benefited you?

TIQA and a few questions I ask myself help me a lot. I use TIQA for essays here in ELA and projects in social studies. Ms. Raguso might tell us to introduce a quote with “The article says,” put the quote, and then interpret it in your own words. I use TIQA instead. This helps me make better introductions and analyses in that class. I also ask myself some questions when using TIQA. I wonder, is my analysis good enough? Is it detailed and does it take up most of the TIQA. This is what has benefited me a lot from this ELA class.

No comments:

Post a Comment